Those who are in the beginning stages of their divorce often feel that should represent themselves rather than hire a family solicitor. After all, hiring a family solicitor who specializes in divorce will cost you time and money, won’t it? There are some situations where you may not need to hire a family solicitor, such as:
- If your marriage was very short in duration
- If both partners are committed to ending the marriage without financial or legal battles
- If you have no children together
- If you have no assets together
- Neither spouse is asking for alimony
Unfortunately, it is extremely rare for a couple to meet all of the above criteria. If you are like most married couples in New York, then you should probably hire a divorce lawyer.
Why Do I Need a Family Solicitor for My Divorce?
The number one reason why you need a family solicitor who specializes in divorce is because you likely do not have even a basic understanding of matrimonial law or family court. If you choose to represent yourself in court, you will be treated the exact same way by a judge as you would if have an experienced well-versed family solicitor by your side. Your solicitor will make sure that you are prepared for the case, that the right documentation is provided by any specific deadlines, and that you will say and perform the right actions so that you do not jeopardize your own case.
There are other reasons why you should hire a family solicitor, including:
- You need objective professional advice. You may feel fine today, but once the divorce proceedings are under way you may find yourself becoming increasingly emotional. It is not uncommon for those involved in a divorce to feel sad, depressed, angry, confused, or betrayed. Unfortunately these natural and understandable feelings can skew your judgement and make it impossible for you think objectively about your case.
- You want different (or better) options. During one of your first meetings with a family solicitor, he or she will sit down with you, evaluate your case, and be able to share with you the likely outcome of that case should you go to court. Your family solicitor should have the experience necessary to give you other possible scenarios, like how your case will end should you choose to settle outside of court. This can help you expedite your divorce and move on with your life without suffering any substantial financial hardship.
- You hate paperwork. There is a lot of paperwork involved in divorce, a lot of which needs to be filled out perfectly in order to be accepted. Your family solicitor will know exactly which forms you will need for your particular situation and will even fill them out for you, saving you time and stress.